View Our Banjos
Hooks and Nuts - the Official Deering Banjos Blog

Should I Anchor My Pinky and Ring Finger? Yes or No?

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 4, 2016 1:21:39 PM / by Barry Hunn posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo tips

[fa icon="comment"] 59 Comments

One of the most often asked banjo tips I get asked is “Do I have to rest fingers of my picking hand on the head of the banjo?”

Read More [fa icon="long-arrow-right"]

Learn Clawhammer Banjo

[fa icon="calendar'] Dec 8, 2015 12:36:56 PM / by David Bandrowski posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo tips, clawhammer, David Holt, deering artist, frailing

[fa icon="comment"] 4 Comments

How To Begin Playing 3-Finger Banjo - Lesson 2

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 4, 2015 2:54:21 PM / by Bennett Sullivan posted in 3 Finger, 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo rolls, banjo tips, bluegrass

[fa icon="comment"] 4 Comments

You've practiced for a week, and now it's time to add your left hand!

Is One Banjo Style More Difficult than Another?

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 26, 2015 10:48:39 AM / by Barry Hunn posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo tips, clawhammer, fingerpicking, flatpicking, Plectrum Banjo, Tenor Banjo

[fa icon="comment"] 16 Comments

We are asked regularly, is Bluegrass style finger picking more difficult than Clawhammer?  Is Clawhammer more difficult than finger picking? Is plectrum/tenor style with a flat pick easier than Bluegrass style finger picking?

New Music Monday: Featuring Scythian!

[fa icon="calendar'] Jun 16, 2014 4:19:07 PM / by Jamie Deering posted in 5-String Banjo, Artist Features, banjo, Dance, deering, deering artist, Eagle II, folk, Irish, Merlefest, Scythian

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

New Music Monday! Bringing you Scythian who never fail to get their audience dancing! From their upcoming album "Jump at The Sun" this song is titled Caeli which means "a traditional Gaelic social gathering, which usually involves playing folk music and dancing". Featuring Ben-David Warner on his Eagle II Acoustic-Electric banjo, we hope this gets your toes tapping!

The Bluegrass Banjo Yesterday and Today

[fa icon="calendar'] May 3, 2013 11:17:40 AM / by Barry Hunn posted in 5-String Banjo, bluegrass, Email Articles, history, steep canyon rangers, Terry Baucom

[fa icon="comment"] 24 Comments

A Brief History

Strum Fun On the 5-String Banjo

[fa icon="calendar'] Apr 15, 2013 4:56:26 PM / by Carolina Bridges posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo books, banjo tips, books, Email Articles

[fa icon="comment"] 5 Comments

There is great joy in playing the 5-string banjo! Many people have pre-conceived notions that you have to do some fancy fingerpicking to play the 5-string banjo, but this is completely untrue. This type of banjo is traditionally tuned to open G tuning sounds great when strummed as well. Who doesn’t like to strum? It is so relaxing and easy. It is truly my favorite way to play. So, let’s talk about “strum fun” today!

Did You Know Banjos Kill Zombies?

[fa icon="calendar'] Mar 20, 2013 1:11:23 PM / by David Bandrowski posted in 5-String Banjo, Deering Banjos, Goodtime, Inside Deering, New Banjo, New Model, News, Zombie, Zombie Killer, Zombieland

[fa icon="comment"] 0 Comments

Inspired by the movie “Zombieland” featuring Woody Harrelson whose character at one point uses a banjo to fight off Zombies, Greg Deering created the latest 5-string Goodtime banjo - the Zombie Killer Goodtime banjo.  Launched at the 2013 Anaheim NAMM (National Association of Music Merchandisers) Trade Show, the Zombie Killer banjo was a hit with general attendees and dealers alike. With a “blood splatter” resonator finish and a “saw blade-edged” brilliant red flange made with a cut-out zombie-themed pattern to match the fingerboard inlays, the Zombie Killer captures the attention of the audience without even strumming a note.

Learning Dueling Banjos Isn't Just For the Advanced Player

[fa icon="calendar'] Feb 25, 2013 12:58:34 PM / by Carolina Bridges posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo tips, bluegrass

[fa icon="comment"] 30 Comments

Learning anything new can be a challenge. In the past I have approached most new songs with excitement and a good dose of trepidation! After all, my  banjos skills are modest and that is just being honest. Recently I was sent the music for “Dueling Banjos” that included both the musical notation and tablature for guitar and banjo. Having had requests from customers for this music, I knew it was a great offering for the “more experienced player.” But, what about the beginner...the player who knows where the strings are without looking and can manage a pull-off, slide, and hammer on? These few basic skills are covered in “First Lessons Banjo” by Jack Hatfield , a book I have recommended frequently to new players. Could I even begin to learn “Dueling Banjos” with this basic arsenal of banjo skills? Over this last holiday I gave it a try...

A Time For Inspiration

[fa icon="calendar'] Nov 19, 2012 6:38:48 PM / by Carolina Bridges posted in 5-String Banjo, banjo lesson, Playing Tips, banjo tips, Deering Banjos, Email Articles, Goodtime, Greg Deering, Jens Kruger, video

[fa icon="comment"] 1 Comment

Carolina Bridges

Subscribe to Email Updates

Lists by Topic

see all

Posts by Topic

see all