What a perfect time to play the banjo! Inspiration is in order, I think. Something to stimulate, inspire, urge, cajole is what we can all use. After all, we played at every festival we could attend this spring and summer, so what can the fall/winter bring?
Here are a few things to look forward to.
- Spruce up your banjo. I know, what a chore, right? NO! It’s fun to clean that hardware, throw on a new set of strings. The easiest way to do that is to get a set of care cloths and a new set of strings from Deering or your local music store. This is usually less than a $30 investment but will pay off in not only a bright looking but a brighter sounding banjo!
- Learn more about banjos and how to get the most out of your current banjo.
We have some really outstanding new videos by banjo virtuoso Jens Kruger.
He reviews the maple Eagle II, the maple Tenbrooks Saratoga Star, the walnut Terry Baucom Signature model, the ever-popular mahogany Sierra, and more.
How can this help?
Jens talks about the relationship between the components of the banjo. Understanding this balance can help you make the most out of your own banjo playing. By learning how the sound changes depending on where you play on the banjo head, how head tension varies the sound, how strings will change the sound…all this can be applied to your very own banjo.
Hearing Jens play is always a joy. Watching him laugh at himself when he tries to play “Terry Baucom” style is delightful. He inspires just by watching his right and left hand technique. There are things you can apply to your own playing style.
Having a comparison of tonal woods and components can help those of you who are looking for a new model. It is hard to find all the banjos you want in one place. By utilizing the Deering-made video library on our website, you can accomplish everything RIGHT AT YOUR OWN HOME.
Here is a list of the new videos by Jens Kruger:
- Deering Sierra 5-String Banjo
- Deering Tenbrooks Saratoga Star 5-String Banjo
- Deering Terry Baucom Signature Model 5-String Banjo
- Deering John Hartford Model 5-String Banjo
- Deering Eagle II 5-String Banjo
- Deering Golden Wreath 5-String Banjo
- Deering Boston 6-String Banjo
- Get a new book. Our most popular selling book right now is Disney’s Songs for Banjo. But we have some great Christmas books for you to learn those old time favorites before it is too late…like Tenor Banjo Christmas Songbook, Christmas Music for Banjo Made Easy, Christmas Songs for 5-string Banjo… And what about the old time favorite, “O’Brother Where Art Thou?” or take a totally different direction with “Fiddle Tunes for Banjo Made Easy.” We have a great selection of material that you can try during those cozy, winter nights by the fire.
- “Mean” Mary James: This young lady is a YouTube phenomenon. She started with the Goodtime banjo just like many of us. Thanks to the use of YouTube, she along with her brother Frank (on guitar) have delighted us with their antics, charm, and great playing. She has a book out called The Sparrow and the Hawk which you might enjoy trying. And, recently, she and Frank stopped by the Deering factory to pick up her Deering Goodtime Midnight Special banjo. Take a look at this video…it will entertain and inspire!
- Visit your local dealer. Check out what he is offering this time of year. You may find free lessons on banjo, new accessories to look at for those fast approaching holiday needs, or just some fun camaraderie with someone who has devoted himself to the joy of music!
Click here to find a Deering Banjos dealer near you!
- Give Back: With the holidays fast approaching, churches, youth groups, community food banks and shelters; all want musicians for their holiday celebrations. Make new friends, reacquaint yourself with old, share your experiences with your community or learn from those around you. Music and people just belong together, kind of like peanut butter and jelly.
Are you ready to inspire or be inspired? I think both are in order so let’s get to it!